"Life Lines" by Christine Graves via NightCafe Studio
As I get older, I'm more aware of the things I'll need to do in the near future. I'm lucky at the moment as I'm still raising a granddaughter and I have a full-time job. Someone knows where I'm at and what I'm doing pretty much all the time. If something's not right, someone will know right away. That won't be the case in a few years.
Being an older, single woman, I worry about the day I end up living on my own. Truly on my own. It won't be long before my granddaughter graduates and moves on, and I'm not that far away from retirement. Part of me is excited about finally being on my own, but part of me is concerned. So, I started looking into ways to ensure I can safely live alone.
Emergency Contacts
The first thing I need to do is make sure I have a list of emergency numbers. The front of the refrigerator is a good place for this. Have a list of emergency contacts such as poison control or the non-emergency numbers for the fire and police departments.
Along with those numbers, it's a good idea to have numbers of close contacts such as family members or a close friend/neighbor. This makes it easier for emergency services to do their job. It also gives me peace of mind that my kids know what's going on.
Medical Information
I need to create a binder with my medical information in it. I'll add information such as what types of medications I take, when I normally take them, and whether or not I've recently had a change in medications.
Other information to add would be my personal doctor's number/office number, known allergies, medical wishes, and any insurance information. I should also make sure to give a copy to a close friend or family member.
Scheduled Conversations
This one sounds a little strange, but I have several friends who are also getting up there in age, and we all need to start keeping an eye on each other. My best friend lives more than 1,200 miles away. If anything were to happen to her, there's nothing I could do except call someone. She's already retired, and I call to check on her at least once a week.
I've heard that there are now apps that help you schedule regular check-in conversations, but I don't know that to be a fact. This might be an idea for someone who doesn't have much of a support system, but I'm not sure it's for me. I'm fortunate enough to have a lot of friends and family.
Get Out of the House
This is the one that I have the hardest time doing. However, it's a good idea to get out and have some fun. Being retired doesn't have to mean being alone. I remember my grandmother going out and playing Bingo. Maybe I'll set up a regular girls' night out with some friends. This way, we can all get out once in a while and still keep an eye on each other.
I like to say being a Single Gray isn't just for women. There are single gray men as well. It might be nice to start dating again. Meet someone who's just looking for a companion to go to the movies or out to dinner. Living alone doesn't mean I have to be lonely either.
I'm not even in my 60s yet, but I know I have to start thinking about these things now. I'm not afraid of spending the rest of my life alone, as long as I know I have a lifeline out there somewhere. If I get all my information gathered now, I know I won't end up being a burden any my family later on.
What are some of the things you're trying to do to prepare for living alone as a single gray?
Until next time,


No comments:
Post a Comment